Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Learning Process

I have found that rejection doesnt hurt as much as I feared it would. :(

Okay, so I need a little work on punctuation, I can deal with that. Really the solution is to read the entire 300+ pages out loud, and place the commas where they need to be. That will only take a half a life time. *Sigh*

I have ran into a problem. While I am writing in the ed tense,(instead of ing.). I am writing in passive voice and I can't seem to wrap my brain around how to fix it. I can tell you that passiveis "The ball was thrown by Jon." and active is "Jon threw the ball". But, I have hit a wall in regards to changing the passive to active with out allways saying: subject action object.

The virtual editor I used, that has shown me where all of my passive voice phrases in my MS are, says I only use it 7% of the time. That is ALOT in a 106,000 word text tho'. I really want to go back to school but in a small town it isnt going to be easy. The High School English teacher tutor is looking better all the time. :)

6 comments:

Pendragon Inman said...

the publisher got back to you already? you didn't tell me! me sad.

Pendragon Inman said...

or was the rejection just the one from the reader?

k... i'm going now. Really, really. LOL

Tristi Pinkston said...

I'm sorry to hear this, Michelle! Keep trying -- Noble's got to make it into the world. (This was a Noble book, I'm guessing?)

If you want to pop me over a couple of pages where you're having difficulty, I'd be more than happy to show you some ideas.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey, I just checked out the DD blog. What an awesomely cool idea!

Shanna Blythe said...

Noble is VERY pushy when it comes to blogging! ;)

Seven percent doesn't sound so bad when you say it that way, but when you put it into an actual word count?? Wooee!

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

Paulette
I was rejected by the amazon/penguin contest and the compilation book by Candace. I was a little blue but it was a good lesson in courage for submissions. Honestly, there are some things I need to fix so in a way I am glad it didnt make it. Now when I do submit it will be better.

Tristi,
Yes it was Noble's book. I will revise and submit it again :). I will send a few pages to you, I really apreciate the offer. I am looking forward to seeing you on the 23 of Feb. We had a great time last time at Mimi's.
Hey, is it you that named a child after a character? I think it was. I named my baby Noble after my MC. It makes home life a little confusing when I am talking book.

Thanks for the compliment on Noble's blog, I think it turned out well, and it has been a great resource for my brain.

Shanna,
Yeah I thought, '7%, that isnt bad,' untill I saw all of the little yellow boxes. AAAAA!!!!! And yes, Noble sr. can be very pushy.