Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Learning Process

I have found that rejection doesnt hurt as much as I feared it would. :(

Okay, so I need a little work on punctuation, I can deal with that. Really the solution is to read the entire 300+ pages out loud, and place the commas where they need to be. That will only take a half a life time. *Sigh*

I have ran into a problem. While I am writing in the ed tense,(instead of ing.). I am writing in passive voice and I can't seem to wrap my brain around how to fix it. I can tell you that passiveis "The ball was thrown by Jon." and active is "Jon threw the ball". But, I have hit a wall in regards to changing the passive to active with out allways saying: subject action object.

The virtual editor I used, that has shown me where all of my passive voice phrases in my MS are, says I only use it 7% of the time. That is ALOT in a 106,000 word text tho'. I really want to go back to school but in a small town it isnt going to be easy. The High School English teacher tutor is looking better all the time. :)

6 comments:

~paulette said...

the publisher got back to you already? you didn't tell me! me sad.

~paulette said...

or was the rejection just the one from the reader?

k... i'm going now. Really, really. LOL

Tristi Pinkston said...

I'm sorry to hear this, Michelle! Keep trying -- Noble's got to make it into the world. (This was a Noble book, I'm guessing?)

If you want to pop me over a couple of pages where you're having difficulty, I'd be more than happy to show you some ideas.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey, I just checked out the DD blog. What an awesomely cool idea!

Shanna Blythe said...

Noble is VERY pushy when it comes to blogging! ;)

Seven percent doesn't sound so bad when you say it that way, but when you put it into an actual word count?? Wooee!

Michelle said...

Paulette
I was rejected by the amazon/penguin contest and the compilation book by Candace. I was a little blue but it was a good lesson in courage for submissions. Honestly, there are some things I need to fix so in a way I am glad it didnt make it. Now when I do submit it will be better.

Tristi,
Yes it was Noble's book. I will revise and submit it again :). I will send a few pages to you, I really apreciate the offer. I am looking forward to seeing you on the 23 of Feb. We had a great time last time at Mimi's.
Hey, is it you that named a child after a character? I think it was. I named my baby Noble after my MC. It makes home life a little confusing when I am talking book.

Thanks for the compliment on Noble's blog, I think it turned out well, and it has been a great resource for my brain.

Shanna,
Yeah I thought, '7%, that isnt bad,' untill I saw all of the little yellow boxes. AAAAA!!!!! And yes, Noble sr. can be very pushy.