Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How I Became a Writer.


It actually started in fifth grade when I found a collection of short science fiction stories in ny school library. I checked them out over and over again. I decided, at that time, I wanted to write stories just like that myself. Add to that a really old annime called "Battle of the Planets" and I was sold on the scifi genre.

I was enamored by what I now know as the character based sci fi so much so I created my own scenes with the established characters in my head. When I was in high school I met a freind who had written a 300 page novel. (Loved the book still do.) I decided if she could do it I could too and a writer was born. I started as a sophomore and finished the 189 page handwritten book just a few days before summer break my junior year. The book was based LOOSELY on the anime I loved so much as a kid.

Forward a few years and I began to re-write that book in my extreemely rare free time. I learned many things as I re-wrote it. Still not enough to really write a publishable book but I was begining to really be a writer.

Then I got married and had three kids in seven years. Writing was put on hold as I raised my kids. Add two more kids in that span of fifteen years and needless to say I read a ton of books but did not work on my own writing at all.

Everything changed about five years ago. I blame Harry Potter, but I'll let you decide.

2 comments:

storyengineer said...

Thank you so much for telling me about Battle of the Planets and including that picture! My first stories also came from that series, though I knew it as G-Force. I have been wanting to rewatch it, but could never find it on Netflix. Now I can watch it again!

Noble M Standing said...

Batttle of the Planets was the first run of the series. It was toned down because they thought the series was too violent for American children. LOL. G force was a later non edited version. There are videos on netflix and AMV's on utube. I wonder if they are on Hulu or other related sites too.

Either way, I loved the series had a serious crush on Jason (Condor). For my birthday my brother sent me a DVD with 6 episodes of G Force and my kids love them I have created new fans!

I have heard rumors that there is an computer animated movie in the works. Set for release next year. I will be in line for that if it comes out.

Glad to see another fan.