Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What makes a writer publishable.

I've been writing for 20+ years, granted, I have been working towards publication for about 6 of those years. As I have attended diferent conferences and been in diferent writing and critique groups, and worked on writing myself, I have seen something interesting. Those writers that have sucess in thier own writing are those writers that are adaptable. Those writers that are willing to learn and change EVERYTHING they know or have written when they learn something new. Those so dedicated to the craft that they are allways seeking to grow as a writer. Those are the ones who I have seen actually get published.

I have been in three amazing writers/critique groups. The members are such hard workers and so amazingly tallented. I have felt the loss when I have moved or the group broke up.

I have friends that have completely changed a book from first person to third, I have friends that have taken a memoir and changed it to fiction, I have a dear friend that has taken an almost complete book torn it to pieces and is in the process of rewriting it again. I have other friends that have taken fledgling writers under thier wings in spite of thier own time constraints and fostered the skills and knowledge they need to be a better writer. I have many other examples but these are the ones that stick out in my head this morning.

To the writer that is willing to make HUGE sacrifices to get your books ready to publish and actually published I salute you. You guys are my heroes.

5 comments:

Cluttered Brain said...

i am willing to do anything to any of my writings if it will make it better...Yes someday I do hope to get published...:)
Thanks for this blog entry...It has provided me some good insight.

Angie said...

Great post and so true.

ali cross said...

Totally! I think you absolutely nailed it on the head. :)

Teri said...

So true, for so many aspects of life.

Anonymous said...

I love that you mentioned writers supporting other writers. I think that is one of the greatest things a writer can do for their career. I know I've had some excellent writers help me and I would be nothing without them.