Tuesday, April 5, 2011

By the letters


Alot of my friends are doing an A-Z blogfest where each day of the month's post is based on one letter. While the idea is intriguing and their posts are great. I didn't have time to go through over 200 participants posts every day. I barely have time to get online with all this new baby demands. So using their idea, (shamelessly) I will do a little alphabet of my own and call it good unless I see the necessity to do more.

The writers ABC'S

A is for Aspire. So you want to be a writer, you have these great ideas and think they'd make a great book heck maybe even a movie. So you sit your butt in a chair and start writing. By page 50 you hate it and think its blather. A should be for ambition and application. Learn your craft. Realize every writer gets tired and sick of their writing were a huge bunch of chickens. The diference between a writer and a published author is the time spent working your BUTT off to not only finish the bloody manuscript, but to go back again X 10 and revise.

B is for Butt. Get a comfy chair a snack and a large glass of what ever you fancy and write. Don't get up to answer the phone, don't get on the internet, don't turn on the TV. Just write. The surprise success of so very few authors is an accident. Those that go on to be successful time and time again work. Writing is their career, their first or second job.

C is for Craft. Learn how to write. Learn how to edit. Learn how to revise. Learn how to critique and take critiques. Learn how to get a THICK skin. Then learn how to write synopsis' and querys and send it out.

D should be for Determination but I think you get the point all ready. D is for details and dialogue. Learn the ins and outs of both and apply them.

Last but definitely not least on this post.

E is for Enjoy. Learn to enjoy all the parts of being an author even revising and writing things like querys. I love editing, I know it sounds strange but I love making my work really sing. :)

Hope you enjoyed my little soapbox post here. Now its time for me to follow my own advice. I need to get my MS out and work.

No comments: